What do Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Angelina Jolie have in common?
By Bandook - October 1, 2019
Come to think of it, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Angelina Jolie couldn’t be more alike. Despite having very different upbringings and growing up worlds apart, they’ve pretty much treaded the same paths. Now, for the first time, the two share a bond: ARB is all set to lend her voice for Angie’s character in Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil in the Disney film’s Hindi version.
Yes, one can argue that they couldn’t be more different: ARB has had a sheltered upbringing, turning Miss World at 18, while Angie first got married at 14 way before her first film (as an adult; she was a child actor). Aishwarya’s parents were not from the industry, Angie’s parents are both actors. Angie marked herself out as a rebel, ARB was never one to rebel… the list is endless.
And yet, one can’t help but draw parallels at how similar the two divas are! Powerful and inspirational in stature, their distinctively glamorous beauty and initiatives towards world causes, have taken the world by storm for decades.
Here are a few things we believe the two have in common…
- Both have a brother as an only sibling
- They’re pretty much the same age (Angie is 44, Aish is 45)
- Both married actors (Angie thrice, Aishwarya once)
- Both have worked with the biggest and the best in the entertainment business
- Both are considered style icons
- Both have appeared in TIME’s Most Influential People lists
- Both work closely with the United Nations. Angelina is currently the Special Envoy for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and previously, used to be the UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador. Aishwarya is the Joint United Nations Programme on AIDS (UNAIDS) Goodwill Ambassador
“Looking at how Angelina Jolie fits Maleficent’s role down to the letter, it was hard to imagine anyone else essaying the character other than Aishwarya Rai Bachchan for our local audience. We wanted to build a strong connect and bring her character to life in Hindi and felt Aishwarya’s persona which is filled with elegance and poise would be a perfect blend,” said Bikram Duggal, Head – Studio Entertainment, Disney India.
A tale of good versus evil, Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil sees Maleficent and her goddaughter Aurora begin to question the complex family ties that bind them as they are pulled in different directions by impending nuptials, unexpected allies and dark new forces at play.
Disney’s Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil releases in theatres on 18th October in India, in English and Hindi.>