Spotify makes India debut and here’s what you need to know!
By Bandook - February 27, 2019
Spotify, the world’s leading music streaming service, is available in India from today with all-new featured to look out for! After years of will they-won’t they, they’re finally here. A lot more silently, albeit. Both iOS and Android versions were made available late last night, with an official launch today morning. And here’s everything you need to know..
It offers the best listening experience in local and International music and is available for download for free with an upgrade to the premium version of the application at Rs 119 per month.
The Spotify app is available in mobile, desktop and tablet versions and can be played on a wide variety of speakers and home devices! Users can stream in cars, on TVs, voice and wi-fi speakers. There are also integrations of the app with Google Maps and Instagram.
“As Spotify grows, our goal is to bring millions of artists and billions of fans together from every country and background,” says Daniel Ek, Spotify founder and CEO. “India has an incredibly rich music culture and to best serve this market, we’re launching a custom-built experience. Not onlywill Spotify bring Indian artists to the world, we’ll also bring the world’s music to fans across India. Spotify’s music family just got a whole lot bigger.”
HOW MUCH IT WILL COST YOU IN INDIA
Spotify’s monthly plan starts off at Rs 119 (compared to Apple Music’s Rs 120) and you can get an annual plan for Rs 1,189. Oh and BTW, for those who fear long -term commitments, there’s also a daily plan of Rs 13 per day. That’s new!
- YEARLY: ₹1,189
- HALF-YEARLY: ₹719
- THREE-MONTHLY: ₹329
- MONTHLY: ₹119
- WEEKLY: ₹39
- DAILY: ₹13
Payment options available at the moment are PayTM, UPI and Debit & Credit card options. No net banking options yet, though!
- Unrivaled playlists tuned to your individual tastes: With over 40 million songs to choose from, your very own playlists are based on your preferences and updates daily. It’s like, the more you listen, the better the recommendations get.
- It’s specially made for you: They have an India centric homepage, that gives you the option of choosing among 8 Indian languages that include Bengali, English, Hindi,Kanada, Malyalam, Punjabi, Tamil and Telegu along with general categories and moods like pop, hip-hop, R&B, metal etc.
- Play it where you want: From your car, to your TV, from voice to wifi speakers, play this app where you want to! With integrations with Google maps, Instagram and Tinder (Oh Yes, finally someone with similar music taste) Spotify is available on over 500 products across 200 hardware brands globally.
- Spotify Free with total control: For the first time ever on Spotify Free, smartphone users can play every song on demand 5. And they have something really cool, that’s called City Playlists. Find out what’s hot in your city, with playlists tracking whats currently trending in your city ie Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru and Chennai.
SPOTIFY IN NUMBERS
- 207 million active users.
- 96 million of these users pay.
- Approximately 30,000 new tracks added each day.
- Over 3 billion (300 crore) playlists available.
- €10 billion paid to rights holders since launch in October 2008.
- Available across 79 markets.
ARE YOU READY?
Amarjit Singh Batra, Managing Director, Spotify India, adds: “Indians love music. It’s an inherent part of our lifestyle and culture, whether we pray, work, or relax. The mobile internet revolution has led to a rapid rise in the number of connected Indians, making music streaming the preferred way to enjoy music here.” In addition, One Plus, Anheuser-Busch InBev and GoUSA will be Spotify’s exclusive advertising launch partners in India.
So India, are we Spotify ready?