Spotify listeners have a ‘Stranger Things’ obsession
By Bandook - July 4, 2019
With the premiere of Stranger Things today on Netflix, Spotify took a look at how music from the show resonated with listeners. Here are some fun facts from what they discovered.
Since the popular series launched on July 15, 2016, listeners have spent more than 17 million hours streaming music related to the show on Spotify.
THE MOST STREAMED SONG TIED TO Stranger Things is The Clash’s 1981 hit “Should I Stay or I Should I Go” ranks as the most-streamed song tied to Stranger Things, from the original soundtracks to the many playlists listeners have created themselves.
HERE ARE SOME FUN STATS
- Listeners have created their own playlists based on the show’s characters, and Eleven has the most playlists, followed by Steve Harrington and Will Byers.
- Listeners have created more than 3,500 playlists titled “The Upside Down” with the top tracks in these being the eerie score track “The Upside Down” from composers Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, as well as the instantly-recognizable “Stranger Things” theme track.
- On Spotify, there are 15 Stranger Things-themed podcasts and listeners have spent more than 4,600 hours listening to them. The most-streamed podcast related to the show is The Stranger Things Podcast by Addi and Darrell Darnell.
- The Clash’s “Should I Stay or Should I Go” played a central role in Season 1 (Will would sing it to calm himself in the Upside Down), and Spotify saw global streams of the song go up 30% in the two weeks after Stranger Things premiered on July 15th, 2016 compared to the two weeks before.
Top tracks on Stranger Things soundtracks and playlists on Spotify:
- “Should I Stay or Should I Go” – Remastered – The Clash
- “Stranger Things” – Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein
- “Every Breath You Take” – The Police
- “Africa” – Toto
- “Kids” – Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein
The characters with the most user-generated playlists on Spotify, and the most-added track for each character:
- Eleven – “Should I Stay or Should I Go” by The Clash
- Steve Harrington – “Africa” by Toto
- Will Byers – “INTRO – Will singing the Clash” dialogue by Will Byers
- Billy Hargrove – “Rock you like a Hurricane” by Scorpions
- Jonathan Byers – “Should I Stay or Should I Go” by The Clash
The top 5 Stranger Things-themed podcasts globally:
- The Stranger Things Podcast by Addi and Darrell Darnell
- Stranger Danger – A Stranger Things Podcast by Fans not Experts
- Dungeons and Demogorgons – A Stranger Things Podcast by Bald Move
- Stranger Things Reviews and After Show by AfterBuzz TV
- UNspoiled! Stranger Things by UNspoiled! Network
Stream Spotify’s Stranger Things playlist, based on and inspired by music from the show.>