Heard Hawa Banke? Here’s what you need to know if you don’t already!
By Bryan Durham - July 22, 2019
– Darshan Raval seems to have enjoyed his time singing for Rochak Kohli in Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga. For the first time in his independent music career, he has worked with a Punjabi lyricist (Nirmaan) and composer (GoldBoy).
– He has featured with a co-actress in every video since 2014, but never has a female vocalist been credited opposite him. Hawa Banke marks the first time this has happened with The Voice 2019 finalist popping into the song for one verse.
– Like other Punjabi lyricists of this generation (think Jaani, for example), Nirmaan has seamlessly included his name in the lyrics. It appears twice in the song.
– In case you were wondering what the words in that chorus means…
Boohey Bariyan – doors and windows
Naal kanda tapke – cross the walls
Tu aajavi hawa banke – come in the form of air
– The hook line are from a folk song made famous by singer Hadiqa Kiani in 1998.
– And while this may be the re-creation of a Punjabi folk song, the entire shoot took place in Banaras. The rain scenes had to be simulated. None of the rain was real.
– This is the first independent Punjabi single for Darshan.
– Both the lyricist and the composer are Punjabis.
– Our sources tell us Darshan wasn’t going to do a monsoon song this year as he felt he had put out a lot of songs this year, but changed how mind after a meeting with Nirmaan who introduced him to the song.
(With inputs from Sanjana Proddatoori)
Watch the video here>