California (EP) | Review
By Bryan Durham - March 27, 2018
1. Worry No More (ft Lil Yachty and Santigold): Those opening strings sound intriguing, but the drum beat is quite tropical. It’s a nice laidback tune with Lil Yachty singing the chorus and bridges and Santigold singing the verses. The vocals are cleanly cut and textured.
2. Suicidal (ft Desiigner): Featuring the vocals of Desiigner, Suicidal feels like a litany of falling (‘in buildings, in billions, in millions, in trillions’). There’s the hint of despair, but hope comes shining through.
3. Look Back (ft DRAM): DRAM alt-rocks it out with Diplo, with a drawl that should give most alt-rockers a run for their money. He hits the highs and lows equally well, with Diplo backing him up with some brilliant guitar work and marries with a hint of gospel music. This one’s a beaut.
4. Wish (ft Trippie Redd)
Trippie Redd is gold on this instantly likeable song. Opens with a sundowner vibe. And then it gets a little dark with the references. But never loses its hold on you.
5. Color Blind (ft LIL XAN): Easily the most likeable track.Features the vocal talents of Lil Xan. Song’s about dealing with a one-sided affair. Short, but hook-filled and keeps you coming back for repeats.
6. Get It Right (ft MØ and GoldLink) [Remix]: If you remember this bopper featuring MØ from before, it’s because it featured on the docu ‘Give Me Future’. This version features rap by Goldlink that involves some fashion name-dropping.
VERDICT: A fair bit of new and a wee bit of the familiar, Diplo’s new sound has us hooked. Go listen to this on repeat.